Saturday 21 February 2009

Hooray for Preston! Hooray for West Norwood!


Thursday was an eventful day. I went to Preston for work, which involved getting up at a wrong time in the morning, but was quite fun in the end as the people were LOVELY.

Lunch involved a trip to Cassandra's sandwich shop, which impressively my work contact walked me to, before pointing me in the right direction for getting to the office I was visiting in the afternoon. I had a sandwich involving either chicken or ham, or perhaps some odd combination of the two (cham?) and salad, which was good although involved too much (i.e. some)onion. Lunch pudding, however was one of the best flapjacks I have ever had. It contained cherries and what I would suspect were appropriate amounts of butter and sugar. If you ever find yourself in Preston, don't be put off by the scary nature of the Guildhall Centre, go in and eat oats!

Amazingly (Richard Branson does have his uses)I made it back to London town in time for the quiz at The Park in West Norwood. The Park is a lovely pub and has a good selection of beers and nice house wines (I have failed to notice what, but you won't be disappointed) and a fantastic quiz on Thursdays at 8ish.

The Park does wonderful pizzas and I had been fantasising about eating one from about Wigan onwards. As previously I went with the Pizza Funghi (£7.95)which was every bit as good as I had anticipated. Leah had one too and commented, 'it's like pasta sauce on dough'. This is indeed true. The tomato sauce is really good, and had a hint of chili, there was a good amount of cheese and the base was lovely and thin and crispy but suitably gooey in the middle. The best bit is that they even cut it into quarters for you. I have no idea if they are made there or are released from a cardboard box shortly before being served, but they are really very nice...

3 comments:

  1. In my opinion the pizza sounds nicer than it looks, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can confirm that the pizzas are made - nay, individually hand-crafted - on the premises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is good to know - they are indeed amazing!

    ReplyDelete